Saturday 19 May 2018

PREEMIE CAPS 7 MATILDA – The white Angry Bird


free crochet pattern,free crochet cap pattern, free crochet headwear pattern, free crochet white angry bird pattern, free crochet Matilda angry bird pattern, free crochet new born cap pattern, free crochet preemie cap pattern, Oswal Cashmilon,
PREEMIE CAPS 7
MATILDA – The white Angry Bird

Welcome back to my series of preemie caps that I’ve made for a donation to the hospitals in Australia.
This birdie beanie went to the Redland hospital Charity centre at Cleveland.

free crochet pattern,free crochet cap pattern, free crochet headwear pattern, free crochet white angry bird pattern, free crochet Matilda angry bird pattern, free crochet new born cap pattern, free crochet preemie cap pattern, Oswal Cashmilon,

Thank you for joining me.
In case you have just joined me, know that you can access all of my earlier creations by checking under ‘categories’ on the right hand side of this blog under “Labels”.  Then, for your convenience, follow me here or on Facebook, You Tube, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram. 
Check all my social media links at the bottom of this blog – or just write Sweet Nothings Crochet or Shyama Nivas and find me on any and all social media 
Oh, and may I add that the fastest way to find any of my blogs is via Pinterest.

Do remember to add my blog URL when you make and show off your creation.  Cheers.  Enjoy 

In this blog I thought I’d make a series of the famous birds – frankly I don’t know what all this fuss is about (with these birds I mean :-/) but they’re wildly popular and a friend suggested I make them – so here goes.  This is the image I found of the whole series of birds – didn’t even know there were so many of them!

free crochet pattern,free crochet cap pattern, free crochet headwear pattern, free crochet white angry bird pattern, free crochet Matilda angry bird pattern, free crochet new born cap pattern, free crochet preemie cap pattern, Oswal Cashmilon,

Oh, may I, as usual, request you to please go through my notes for ideas on what I’ve done. I’ve basically used stuff toy patterns to make my caps so with this blog you get a cap and a stuff toy.

Materials used : Today I’ve used some of our lovely Indian Oswal Cashmilon 4-ply acrylic yarns with a 3 mm crochet hook ;  embroidery needle fabric glue 

For Indians : You could use Anchor , Red ros ; Red rose metallic or unbranded  knitting cotton as well as Vardhaman acrylic yarns

The yarn used today is not specific to this pattern.
You can use any yarn with a suitable hook to make this project to any size.
International yarns :  Among the international yarns I have used in this thickness, I’d suggest Aunt Lydia Cotton 10, Aunt Lydia Bamboo-Viscose 10, DMC Petra, Sullivans knitting cotton (Australia), Milford Soft, Hilaza Rustica Eclat , Alize cotton yarn and Alize bamboo yarn.

 Abbreviations used :
sc : single crochet        dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                      ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                     rep : Repeat


Stitches used :
Starting slip knot : Here’s how you start with a slip knot.  https://youtu.be/lJcqsVcs8cw

Starting slip knot 1 or the Sloppy Slip knot : This is a neat new way to start your work without a slip knot.  https://youtu.be/YfC7KmGpifs

What is a slip stitch : Here is a neat video tutorial at https://youtu.be/weB3QNbA8Iw

What is a chain stitch ? Here is an easy video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXx5ukBjKkY

Single Crochet : Sc : yo, insert hk into st ; yo (2 lps on hk); yo, draw through both lps.  One sc made.  Check out the video at https://youtu.be/ghACqBpA-3k

First stitch for Single Crochet : This is how I like to start my row of sc. Check out the video at https://youtu.be/6pVYRfsf4_M

Half Double Crochet : Hdc :  yo, insert hk into st ; yo (3 lps on hk) ;
yo, draw through all 3 lps.  One hdc made. 
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/sDiELJdB2Dg

Chainless start for Half Double Crochet : I dislike the ch-2 start, and this is what I do to start my row of hdc. Check out the video at https://youtu.be/lWXpl1KdbZ8

Crab Stitch or Reverse Single Crochet stitch : Here’s an easy video tutorial at https://youtu.be/cG3crwyHPnk

Front post single crochet : fpsc :  Post stitches are stitches worked around the post of a stitch on the row below.  Here is an easy video tutorial for the fpsc at https://youtu.be/OQa8YLpkdXs

Back post single crochet : bpsc : Post stitches are stitches worked around the post of a stitch of the row below. Here is an easy video tutorial for the bpsc at https://youtu.be/L1K_MMLl-D4

How to seamlessly crochet in rounds : When working with head wear, this is a really neat way to seamlessly end each round.  Here’s an easy video tutorial to show you how to this at https://youtu.be/ISBZK7Du7yE   

Here is a sizing chart for general head sizing :

Whipstitch to join : Here’s a quick tutorial on how to join using the whipstitch at https://youtu.be/wZ-9LNzftMA

Invisible join : Here’s a quick tutorial on how to join using the embroidery needle and whipstitch to get an invisible join at https://youtu.be/a6XZQ6VzJFM

Single crochet to join : Here’s a quick tutorial on how to join using the single crochet at https://youtu.be/6FXoW_47_dI


Instructions using U.S terminology
Please note that I start all my rounds with a ch 1 turning chain for ease.
Please check the top of this blog for video tutorials of all the stitches used in today’s pattern.
Please note that I take a lot of trouble to give loads of tips through my pattern sheet, so please read through the full sheet before you pick up your hook n yarn.


free crochet pattern,free crochet cap pattern, free crochet headwear pattern, free crochet white angry bird pattern, free crochet Matilda angry bird pattern, free crochet new born cap pattern, free crochet preemie cap pattern, Oswal Cashmilon,


For my preemie caps I have worked the pattern ensuring I have a total length of 4” and a circumference of 12”. 

Please check the top of this blog for a sizing chart and the ideas below as well
1. Hat circumference = measure around the head just above ears and subtract one inch for a nicely fitted finished hat.
2. Crown width = (this is a flat circular top of the hat) you need to divide hat circumference by 3.14 (pi).
3. Hat height = Head circumference / 10 x 4.

So you need to measure circumference of the head (round head measurement) and keep checking the outer circumference of your work.  
There is another trick for measuring circumference (without running your measure tape all around the edge of your circle as you are working). 
This works for a cap that you are working top down, from the crown of the head.
It works by dividing your round head measure by pi (3.14). 
So say your head measurement is 22, divide 22 by 3.14 = 7.  
Remember when calculating diameter, you must account for the stretch of your yarn too.
So once the ‘flat portion’ for the crown (or the first few rounds while you are still increasing) of your cap is 7” diameter, you can stop increases and start increasing just the length (without increasing stitches for the round)
Right then, back to the pattern sheet.

In general the pattern I’ve used for my preemie caps is as follows.

Start Round 1 : with a magic circle and 10 hdc in that circle.
 Join with a sl-st to the 1st hdc. (10)

Round 2 : (Increase round ) : 
2 hdc in the 1st hdc and in each hdc all around.
Join with a sl-st to the 1st hdc. (20)

Round 3 : (Increase round ) : 
hdc in the 1st hdc ; 2 hdc in the next hdc ;
*hdc in the next hdc ; 2 hdc in the next hdc* ;
rep *to* all around.
Join with a sl-st to the 1st hdc. (30)

Round 4 : (Increase round ) : 
hdc in the 1st 3 hdc ; 2 hdc in the next hdc ;
*hdc in the next 3 hdc ; 2 hdc in the next hdc* ;
rep *to* all around.
Join with a sl-st to the 1st hdc. (36)

Check that your hat circumference is about 12” for preemie.

Round 5 : hdc in the 1st hdc and in each hdc all around.
Join with a sl-st to the 1st hdc. (36)

Rep Round 5 till you have a finished length of 4”.

For all the birds that need a white belly, I’ve ended with a round of hdc and then finished off with a last round of crab stitch or reverse single crochet.
Check the top of this blog for a video tutorial.

All the little birds have eyes, a beak and head feathers – and for each of these I’ve just worked with a 3.5mm crochet hook and tightened the stitches a bit.  I have not used any polyfill stuffing anywhere as these caps are intended for preemies in the NICU.  If working for a slightly older kid, then you could use polyfill if you’d like.  May I suggest that you first fill your poly-fill into a stocking and then stuff – to keep it non-allergic and super safe. 
This is my stocking ball, just for your info (though have not used it for any of my caps here)

free crochet pattern,free  Oswal Cashmilon, amigurumi ball, stockingnet ball, stocking net ball, stocking net stuffing ball, stuffing for amigurumi how to,

I have also not made tail feathers for any of them as my preemie babies are going to be lying down and they may hurt the back of the head.  If making yours for an older child, go crazy and spread huge smiles.

Some of the angry birds have a slightly different shape, so come on along and see what I’ve done with this cute range.

Today let’s check out how we’re working on Matilda, the white angry bird.


Matilda –White angry bird cap
I found this free pattern for a Matilda stuff toy on Ravelry at

What I’ve done with this pattern : I used the pattern for the body of the stuff toy and worked it only till the length I needed as always. In case you are confused, this pattern is just like one I’ve used for the caterpillar cap (in an earlier blog). We need to get a slightly conical shape, as against a full semicircle and so the difference.
Once again, work it only for the length and circumference you need, work all the embellishments as instructed and you’ll have a cute cap.  I did not work in the tail feathers – once again as my caps are intended for preemie babies who will be lying down, it makes no sense.
However, if you are making it for an older child, it may look cute coming out from the base of the cap at the back.
With this link, you get a cap and a stuff toy. Cool huh?

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/


Join me on YouTube at http://youtube.com/shyamanivas

And on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/ for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Find me on Ravelry at ravelry.com/projects/shyamanivas/


Have a great day and see you soon. 

Here are some of my other creations.